Southern Gospel Times Feature Article
Some of Our Favorites
God blessed Gospel music with some of the best writers in the country. Just take a moment to consider the names Ronnie Hinson, Marty Funderburk, and Kyla Rowland. Then take another moment to consider the names Joel Lindsey, Daryl Williams, Dr. Tim Hill and many others. Although you may not realize it, these talented individuals have written many songs that have become favorites in the Southern and Country Gospel genre of music, as well as many songs that have become gospel music classics.
As 2010 draws to a close, I would like to encourage you to take some time and get to know some of the “lesser-known” artists and writers. Here are some of the Southern Gospel Times staff favorites, in no particular order:
- The Childress Family. This family group from Madisonville, KY has been around a while. Their harmony is incredible, and their albums are top of the line on production and design. They write a great deal of the music they sing. Whenever you have the opportunity to see these folks in concert, be sure to go because you won’t be disappointed. You can find out more about the Childress Family at their website: http://www.childressfamily.com/.
- Pickin’ Up The Pieces. This trio from Tupelo, Mississippi has a unique sound and blend. Their single, “Bent, Not Broken”, penned by member Janet Burroughs, held the number one spot on the Southern Gospel Times 100% Fan-Voted Top 40 chart for a record 13 weeks. You will know Janet from her “Musical Notes” column that appears in our Features section, but that’s not why they’re among our favorites. You can find out more about Pickin’ Up The Pieces at their website: http://pickinupthepiecesmusic.com/ .
- The Ladd Family. Paul and Melissa Ladd from South Carolina are two genuine, talented people. They love the Lord and love to sing and speak about Him. Melissa is a talented writer who displays her abilities on their latest album entitled, “Love, Mercy and Grace”. They have a tremendous testimony that will bless you, and Melissa writes the popular, “Mimi’s Moments of Truth” which we picked up several months ago. You can find out more about the Ladd Family at their website: http://www.laddfamilyministries.com .
- The Revelators. A family trio from Missouri, the Revelators are a group that will truly bless you. They write their own material, and their songs are excellent. They are extremely personable people who are easy to get to know. You can find out more about the Revelators at their website: http://www.therevelators.org.
- Sunday Edition. Another family trio from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Sunday Edition is made up of family members Deon, Chris & Amy Unthank. They have a wonderful blend and sound and they present a Southern Gospel song in a unique way, molding it to their own “feel” that makes even those songs you have heard before more original. A talented group of individuals who have done a great deal for Southern Gospel, not only with their music and testimony but also with the Internet. If you’ve visited absolutelygospel.com, then you’ve experienced the impact of the Unthank family. Add to that the work that Chris and Amy have with Southern Spin Entertainment, and you’ll see that this family is heavily involved in the Gospel music genre. You can find out more about Sunday Edition at their website: http://sundayedition.net/.
We’ll be bringing you more of our favorites in coming weeks. Until then, bless others and God will bless you!
Back to Features...